How to Choose the Color of Clothes That Suits You Best
Have you ever wondered why some cloth colors look perfect on a model, but they don’t look as you planned on you? It may be that you’re standing in front of your closet, trying to figure out what to wear, but the colors you have in mind don’t seem like they’d fit. Sound familiar? We've all been there.
If you’ve been caught in the whirlwind of choosing the right colors for your clothes, no worries! Over here, we will be taking a look at how to choose the color of clothes that suits you best. We would delve into the outfit color combinations that not only complement your complexion but also revolutionize your wardrobe game. In addition, we would debunk the common misconceptions most people have concerning clothing color combination and how it blends with different skin tones.
The Impact of Color on Perception
Choosing the best color combinations for clothes can shape your perception by allowing you to express your unique identity and feel confident. Colors can influence the way others perceive you, enhance your natural beauty, and elevate your mood. When your clothing color combinations are in harmony with your skin tone, hair color, and eye shade, they can have a profound effect on your mood. Here are some instances:
- The vibrant red of sunset evokes feelings of passion and intensity. The fiery shade can ignite emotions of energy, power, and even urgency.
- Blue has a tranquil nature and symbolizes calmness, serenity, and trust
- Yellow or the color of sunshine, stimulates happiness and optimism
- Green, the color of nature, brings about a sense of harmony and renewal
- The enigmatic purple, represents creativity, luxury, and spirituality.
The brightness or darkness, and the different shades and tones of each color can sway your emotions and add complexity to how they impact you psychologically. Warm colors like reds, oranges, and yellows are stimulating and can be attention-grabbing, while cool colors such as blues and greens feel relaxing and create a sense of space.
Understanding color psychology and its impact on the clothes you wear is crucial to shaping and influencing your behavior. The strategic use of color in your clothes combination can mark how you perceive and experience all that is happening around you, hence, the need for them to guide your clothing purchasing decisions.
Understanding Color Theory
Color theory borders on how different colors on the color wheel can become harmonious and visually pleasing when paired. At the core of the color wheel are three primary colors: red, blue, and yellow. They are considered fundamental because they cannot be gotten by mixing other colors. The process of color mixing births the secondary and tertiary colors.
When equal parts of two primary colors are combined, the three secondary colors: orange, green, and purple can be gotten. Then, to get tertiary colors, mix a primary color with a neighboring secondary color on the color wheel. For instance, mix red with orange to get a reddish-orange shade, or blend blue and green to form a bluish-green hue.
The color wheel is a representation of how different colors relate to each other. It consists of twelve hues, arranged circularly. Colors that are placed opposite each other on the wheel are complementary and they form a dynamic contrast when you pair them. Colors next to each other are analogous colors and they can be paired to form a harmonious look.
Knowing these basic concepts of color theory can help you to choose color schemes that evoke specific moods, are visually balanced, and convey your intended messages effectively. With the color theory as your guide, your outfit clothing color combinations will be top-notch as they bring your artistic visions to life.
Determining Your Skin Undertone
Now you know how to confidently mix, match, and manipulate colors to create clothes combinations that work best together, we will be discussing the various undertones that reside within your skin, helping you identify whether you lean toward warm, cool, or neutral tones, and to find what color suits you best. When you understand your skin undertone, you would know why certain color combos of clothes make you glow, while others leave you looking washed out. Let’s get in!
To figure out whether you have a cool, warm, or neutral undertone, here’s all you need to do: Examine the veins on your wrist. If they appear more blue, you likely have a cool undertone. If they are green, you probably have a warm undertone. And if it's difficult to determine or you see both blue and green colors, you may have a neutral undertone.
Knowing your skin undertone will go a long way in helping you choose outfit color combinations that blend easily with your complexion, thus, enhancing your natural beauty. So, when next you're faced with a sea of clothing options, your knowledge of undertones will help you find color matching clothes that are tailored specifically for you.
Best Colors for Cool Undertones
Blue dresses in jewel tones like sapphire blue are perfect for cool undertones. Color clothes combinations in rich and luxurious tones like emerald green and amethyst purple can also enhance your complexion.
Outfit color combinations consisting of soft, icy pastel shades like baby pink, mint green, and lavender add extra freshness and femininity to people with cool undertones.
Shades like charcoal gray, navy blue, and pure white can also help you maintain the cool look of your undertone. Cute white dresses are the best clothes color for brown-skinned people with this undertone.
To add brilliance to your overall look, opt for silver accessories and metallics. Your clothing color combinations can have a metallic sheen to look even cooler.
Best Colors for Warm Undertones
The best palettes for warm undertones are earthy tones like oranges, browns, and yellows. You can also embrace a vibrant and sun-kissed palette if you fall into this undertone. Here are some colors that will enhance your natural glow:
Warm browns, terracotta, and olive greens are the best clothes color for brown skin. To explore your natural look in its best form, try on green dresses for women.
Hot Reds and Oranges:
To help complement your golden undertones, opt for fiery shades such as hot reds, burnt oranges, and corals. They are the perfect complement to your warm undertone and also add a pop of energy and enthusiasm to your overall appearance.
Colors like mustard, goldenrod, and sunflower, add radiance to warm undertones. Yellow dresses in these sunny hues are inviting and help illumine your skin.
Camel, caramel, and cream are warm neutrals you can wear to provide a versatile base for your wardrobe staples.
Best Colors for Neutral Undertones
If you have a neutral undertone, you have the flexibility to wear a wide range of colors. Your undertone serves as a blank canvas and allows you to try out numerous color combos of clothes. To complement your versatile elegance, here are some colors you should experiment with:
Black, white, and gray shades provide a unique backdrop for your styling. They also allow you to accessorize and play with other colors as you like.
For a delicate and feminine vibe, and when you want to add a touch of subtlety to your look, you can wear pastel shades like blush pink, mint green, and baby blue.
Muted Earth Tones:
Colors such as dusty rose, olive green, and muted taupe, are muted tones of earthy colors that can create an understated and grounded vibe.
To enhance your look, go for jewel tones like emerald green, deep sapphire blue, and amethyst.
Considering Other Factors: Hair and Eye Color
When it comes to choosing clothing colors that not only blend seamlessly with your hair and eye color but also flatter your undertone, here are a few factors to consider:
- Brunette Beauties: Brunettes with warm undertones and dark hair should opt for earthy tones like deep greens, warm browns, and rusted oranges. If you have a cool undertone and dark hair, you can wear jewel tones like sapphire blue and amethyst purple to create a striking contrast.
- Blonde Girlies: If you have a warm undertone and wish to amp up your blonde, you can choose outfits in warm colors like peach, coral, and sunny yellows. If you have golden locks you can also embrace this palette. Blondes with cool undertones and ashier hair can wear cool pastels like icy blues and soft pinks.
- Ravishing Redheads: Redheads with warm undertones can further amplify their fiery beauty with earthy and autumnal shades including burnt orange, deep reds, and mossy greens. Those with cool undertones and red hair can opt for jewel tones.
- Enigmatic Eye Colors: If you have blue eyes, you can enhance them with complementary warm tones such as copper, peach, and golden browns. Green-eyed women can wear earthy hues like olive green, terracotta, and warm neutrals to accentuate their eyes.
Experimenting with Colors
You can keep playing safe with the same old colors in your wardrobe, or you can break free and unleash your inner style maverick by experimenting with new and daring hues. With your understanding of color theory and what color suits each undertone, here are some practical tips to help you infuse your wardrobe with a burst of vibrant energy:
- Start Small: When creating eye-catching outfits by harmonizing colors, you should start by dipping your toes into the colorful waters by adding bits of new shades through your accessories like scarves, jewelry, or shoes. This will help you to test the color combination you prefer before fully committing to it as your new color scheme.
- Colorful Combinations: There are "rules" to combining colors in your clothing, but you can step out of these traditional pairs by mixing and matching unexpected color combinations. When playing with contrasts and complementary hues, always ensure that they are balanced, and watch as your outfits come alive with unexpected synergy.
- Accentuate with Prints: Besides trying out bold and daring color clashes, you can also create stunning ensembles with colorful prints and patterns. Floral motifs, geometric shapes, and abstract designs are all pieces you can try out cohesively and artistically.
- Confidence is Key: to fully flaunt your clothing color combos, you would need to wear confidence with your style. Fashion is about self-expression and individuality, so don't be afraid to trust your instincts and wear colors that make you fseel amazing. The "rules" are meant to be broken, so wear what you feel happy and comfortable in.
Having learned how to choose your best clothing colors, we guess you’re ready to say goodbye to those frustrating moments of not knowing what color of clothes to wear. To further ensure that your journey through the mesmerizing world of hues, saturation, and undertones feels eventful, we’re bringing the best clothes you can shop, here at SunsetFashionLA. We’ve got a full boutique of color clothes combinations that you need to curate a wardrobe that reflects your inner brilliance. There are also discounts that you jump on when you shop from the website. So get shoppin’